3.08.2006

Faster, Better, Healthier.



Fast 50 - Report From the Future:: One of my goals is to be on this or a similar list in ten years. A list of 50 "portraits from the future", people who are making a big impact on changing our world. by Fast Company



Fortune has a feature called Secrets of Greatness. This is a series of short interviews with a dozen "accomplished" people, from A.G. Lafley to Wynton Marsalis, on their keys to achieving flow in everyday living. The recurring theme: be an early riser. I've never really been a morning person, but I'm finding that once you start waking up early, it becomes a habit. I'm even waking up five minutes or so before my alarm goes off now - it's so much nicer than being jolted awake. One of the recommendations given in the early riser article is to cut caffeine out completely - I'll only give up my java when they pry it from my cold dead hands.


Don't make Dave's mistake. You are only as good as the fuel you put into your body. Maybe you may function fine on Wendy's #2 Combo, Biggie-sized with a Diet Coke. I understand. Sometimes, you just crave those 60g of fat and 1140 calories. I do too. Just promise yourself it's a once a month treat. Since January 1 I've been trying to eat healthier and organically. I've found it to be a challenge to change some of my neandrethal eating habits. I am definitely noticing a difference in my energy levels and I feel healthier in general. I eat a lot - I have been taking in about 3,800 to 4,000 calories a day. I keep track of this with a great, free site called Nutrax. You can keep fitness and food logs there - just snap a picture with your camera phone before every meal, then go back and input the nutritional information. There are menus that list virtually everything edible with the info already there for you, and it's pretty easy to use. The hard thing for me is still making a habit of tracking every single thing I eat. This is a great tool for athletes, anyone with diabetes, or people trying to lose weight.


So I'm trying to get to the point that eating organic is better for you and better tasting than processed foods. I guess we all know this, but who has the money to shop at Whole Foods every week? You don't have to. A few weeks ago my favorite person turned me on to Sunflower Markets here in Denver. All organic, they have the best produce and great quality, inexpensive meats. When my friend got out of the car with her own grocery bags, I was a bit perplexed - then I saw when we got the receipt, they took $.25 per bag off of the bill. I was really impressed by their helpful staff and great food - and it marked the last time I will go to the unSafeway in 5 Points for any reason. Now, if they could just figure out how to make a decent tasting organic peanut butter...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home